• Friday, May 13, 2011

    Laundry tips



    Feather pillows are my favorite, 
    but are a little tricky to wash, 
    but not impossible.


    First of all, make sure that there are no slits or tears in the covers.  What I have done with some of my older feather pillows that I didn't want to toss out . . . placed them in a pillow case that has no holes or tears and securely sewed the sides, giving the pillows a new cover.

    Load two pillows at the same time for balance.  Set the washing machine on the delicate cycle, using a small amount of detergent.  Make sure to put them through a second rinse cycle.

    For drying, I use the low setting, throwing in some tennis balls to help them fluff up and dryer sheets to promote a fresh and clean smell.  The pillows will take much longer to dry than a normal load.  Take them out and fluff them up by hand periodically . . . this will break up any clumps.

    Yes, it is a tedious process, but well worth it!  You will love the results :)


    Note of warning:  Make sure the washing machine is set to the delicate cycle . . . I ended up with a machine full of feathers when I used the regular cycle . . . what a mess!





    No comments: